Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Hunger Games

I have a couple of posts to make, several complaints to voice, AND, to top it all off, I am going to announce something amazing (haha, maybe). So, bear with me a while. After all, I have to make up for lost time.

So, first the complaints. I am super sick. :b My tonsils are swollen AGAIN. Ugh. I had to stay home today, and my head fills fuzzy, my throat is killing me, and although I love juice, I am getting tired of drinking. I am tired of sitting, lying, sleeping, napping, and being awake. I JUST WANNA LIVE AGAIN. It gets annoying after awhile, and I have only been sick for one day.

So, with all of this sickness and spare time, I actually did something productive (sort of). I read the first book in the Hunger Games!!! :D Yeah....I know I'm slow...:b So, in like sixth grade, a really good friend of mine told me to read them. I just HAD to read them. Boy, am I a good listener, because in seventh grade, my super amazing friend that I already told you about, Kaylee, told me I had to read them. I DIDN'T LISTEN. *bangs head on desk* You know, for being best friends, I sure was supportive. More on that later, actually.

Anyway, so in eighth grade, I finally had the itch to read them, but I didn't, because I couldn't seem to find them anywhere. Well, now that the movie excitement has calmed a bit, I was able to check all of them out at a public library. I have finished the first one, and am now on the second one. My verdict? It seems like a regular, run-of-the-mill survivalist series. I mean, I keep waiting for something incredible to clutch at my heart, but it really never did. I am still waiting. STILL.

WHERE ARE YOU INCREDIBLENESS????

*ehm* So, now that I am reading the second one, I am rather puzzled, wondering which choice Katniss will make concerning Gale and Peeta. Now, there are a few points I want to cover. First, the whole team Peeta, and team Gale thing freaks me out. Why? It feels too much of Twilight, Now, I am not fond of that sort of reading, but I am not about to jab out at anyone (nor the Hunger Games fans), however, it seems so cheap to follow Twilight in this voting-thing. I mean, really. And the whole idea is just ridiculous. The author wrote it, you just read it. You can't change it, so why bother?

Second, Peeta and his bread. It sounds utterly stupid when you know nothing about the book when you hear someone reference him as the 'Bread Boy'. His bread is mentioned rarely throughout the first book, and haven't seen any more in the second to speak of. Why do people make their own Peeta bread recipes? I don't get it. You can't ever taste, so why name it after him?

The bad thing about reading this book at this time, was that the whole thing was centered around food. I mean, after all, it IS key to survival. But, I was (and am) extremely hungry, and as I read on, my stomach wouldn't stop complaining. xD So sad, I know.

All in all? It was a good book, but it got weirdly Fanned by people, which made bits of it weird and made the book lose its appeal, because I expected WAY more than I got. But, the rest of the series sounds promising, and I am going to keep on reading. But, just in case you doubt my sincerity when I said that it was a good book, I'll even play the stupid (well, at least in my eyes) fan game and pick a team. But, keep in mind that as I read, I am allowed to change teams at will. When I do make a change, I'll let you guys know.

I do not regret reading it any bit, and it has made me think deeply about a lot of things, which is a sure sign of  a real treasure. Thanks, Suzanne Collins, for making The Hunger Games! :D

~Evening Star

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, talk. Or else my brownies will walk away. Yeah, I thought so. ;P